STARTING THE ADOPTION PROCESS
PICK YOUR PROGRAM
Find out about the different ways to adopt, and explore what program may be best for you.
f you would like information on the process of foster adoption, please call the office at 503-232-1211.
STARTING THE PROCESS
There are many agency and state requirements in place to ensure your home is a good fit for your adopted child. We'll send you the forms as you complete each step, in order, below:
1. Mail in the Adoption Application & check. Within 7 business days, you will be contacted by the Program Director.
2. Upon approval, you'll receive a contract or service agreement for your program.
3. Once fees & agreements are returned, you'll be emailed a home study packet.
4. After we receive the home study packet, national and state criminal clearances, & certificate of your adoption training, a caseworker will contact you to schedule a home safety assessment.
4. Allow 1-2 months for the caseworker to complete the home study processing & approval. Each home study is different & timelines can vary.
5. View our Financial Assistance page to see what you may qualify for.
WAITING TO BRING YOUR CHILD HOME
The waiting period looks different, based on which program you're adopting through:
Your information will be shown to our birth mothers we work with at agencies nationwide (National Infant Program) or to birthparents in Oregon and Washington (Local Infant Program).
You can learn about each birth parent that is interested in you.
If it seems like a good fit, we will set up an in-person match meeting.
Once matched, you will have a Birth Parent Advocate meet you at the hospital to support you and facilitate paperwork.
CFA is committed to providing continuing support to birth parents & adoptive families after placement, in the form of mediation. While optional, many families utilize our mediation service to forward packages, pictures, and letters between biological & adoptive families families, while also keeping some identifying information confidential. We can also help facilitate conference calls & visitations.
To get started, mail us:
1. Completed brochure.
2. Check made payable to "Christian Family Adoptions" for total amount of services.
3. Post-Adoption Communication Agreement, signed by all parties involved in the communication plan.